Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I am NOT a Hypochondriac

I just like to discuss my injuries and ailments. Mainly with my husband. Repeatedly. Until he gives me the amount of sympathy I desire. :)

Two recent cases:

1. A dark bruise on my arm. I like to point it out to him regularly and comment on how I have no idea what I did to inflict it. He humors me by saying something like "Wow, honey, that's really bad" in an EXTREMELY mock-serious tone. I suppose I continue to point it out because I'm not satisfied with this patronizing response.

2. Yesterday on a five mile walk with JoAnn my left eye started to itch really badly and I kept sneezing. When I got home my left eyelid was visibly swollen and puffy. Twice last night I made him look at it- both times insisting it was getting worse despite the Benadryl and both times he was reluctant to agree that it was worse.

This afternoon he came home right before I went for a run and I pointed out that now BOTH of my eyes are swollen and puffy (which they ARE) but he would not agree that the right one was- just that the left one was. I got back from my run and showed him again- I said "Look- you CAN'T deny that they're both puffy".

Here comes the mock-serious tone:

"Oh, wow! They are both SO puffy! And wait- what's this on your ARM? HOW did THIS happen? OH no!"

Hrumph.

My eyes really are swollen and puffy. Really.

3 comments:

cbrummer said...

I think he must have taken lessons from your dad......

Abby said...

Sorry I think that may be my fault! I seemed to be critically injured a lot as a kid!!! I think I may have had a part in that unsympathetic response!

Aaron said...

I just laughed really really hard.