Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Santa Barbara vs. Iowa City

I had fun thinking of this list. The good, the bad, the neutral- differences between Santa Barbara (my current home) and Iowa City (my home):

1. In Santa Barbara they drink soda. In Iowa City we drink pop.

2. In Santa Barbara they have "fire days". In Iowa we have snow days.

3. In Santa Barbara it is apparently unimportant to be on time- one Californian explained to me that in California they are just "less uptight"....well, I guess that's one way to put it.

4. Santa Barbara children eat lollipops- Iowa kids eat suckers.

5. "Gnarly" is like California's aloha- except where "aloha" means good-bye or hello, "gnarly" can mean good or bad. Iowan's stopped saying "gnarly" about a month after Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure came out on video.

6. College students in Santa Barbara don't go to class when it rains. College students in Iowa still go to class during blizzards.

7. It's always sunny in Santa Barbara...seriously...always. It's a bit much.

8. Gay couples can get married in Iowa but not in California.

9. Santa Barbara= ocean and mountains. Iowa City= river and corn.

10. I like Santa Barbara. I LOVE Iowa City.

No offense Santa Barbara, but you're no Iowa City.

1 comment:

cbrummer said...

I'm counting on you both feeling this way and coming home eventually!!!