Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Return Policy

So I had to go into the Apple store on State Street today to exchange the shuffle charging cable that I bought last week since contrary to what the salesperson told me, it is NOT compatible with my 2 -year-old shuffle. No big deal, right? I got to the store 5 minutes after it opened and already EVERY sales associate (there were probably 20) was working with someone. I waited a few minutes and then parked myself at the counter until someone appeared to help me.

Luckily they have what I need in the back. For $10 more than the one I'm returning. Seriously? Shouldn't newer stuff be MORE expensive? Or is it an antique now, thereby making it more valuable? Oh well.

As I'm waiting for the exchange to happen this 20-something girl comes up to the counter and announces that she needs to exchange her IPhone. The first sentence out of her mouth is: "I knew you guys were coming out with the new one when I bought this one and the lady told me I could exchange this one within 30 days". So the guy says "So you want to exchange this one for the new one?" Turns out no, since the Apple store has a 300 person waiting list, she has one on hold at the AT&T store so she wants to just RETURN this one.

It gets better.

She doesn't have the packaging. She has the receipt, but not the packaging. The associate tells her she needs to have the packaging to make the return. She's all loud and says "Who keeps the packaging???!!" And I'm thinking...didn't you JUST say you KNEW they were coming out with the new one and planned to return this one all along? I would guess that YOU would keep the packaging in that situation.

It gets even better.

She doesn't have the charger. Or the head set. Both of which came with the IPhone when she purchased it. She argues that those things are 3 hours away- can't she just return the phone now so she can get her new one at the AT&T store, and then bring those items in at another time?

Seriously?

The guy goes back in the back to "find out" if that's possible (I'm pretty sure he just went and had a snack) and meanwhile she's swearing under her breathe "Who keeps the bleeping packaging?"

I had a REALLY hard time not answering her as I stood there reading the prominently displayed return policy to myself which states in the 3rd sentence:
"The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation."

1 comment:

Megan said...

People can be ridiculous. It makes me wonder how they could ever take themselves seriously!