Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Accent??!!

Apparently, I have an accent. For the very first time in my entire life, I have been accused of having an accent. A "midwest" accent, to be precise. The accusation occurred at work yesterday (Softshare- not the Children's Chorus).

Yesterday afternoon at work I had my first "crisis management" experience in the "office work" setting. The Coca-cola delivery guy came, and at first, that seemed routine. (We have a cooler in our break room that is stocked full of sodas, fruit drinks, and energy drinks). Then, my co-worker Natalie (who sits at the front desk with me) noticed that something about our delivery was "off". Our delivery did not contain any of the EXTREMELY POPULAR soda, Vault. When asked why, the delivery guy said that none of the other buyers in the area are ordering enough of it, and therefore we would have to order extreme mass quantities of Vault, if we wanted it to be delivered to us.

News traveled fast around the office and we were in crisis mode. After the initial hysteria started to abate, we started to discuss our options...

Option 1: Go without.

This option did not seem viable as several of the employees were near panic-attacks at this prospect.

Option 2: Purchase it from the store.

This option seemed, well, very expensive and a bit irrational.

Option 3: Find a substitute.

Of our three options, this one seemed the most likely, even though it illicited a few sharp gasps. We quickly set about the task of coming up with a suitable replacement. Red Bull was volunteered, but then quickly shut down (I don't think Coca-Cola delivers it anyway). To pay homage to my favorite father-in-law, I then volunteered "Rockstar" as a solution. This got some raised eyebrows and a few exclamations, as well as an accusation that I HAVE AN ACCENT!!!!

When I recovered from this accusation, I assured my co-workers that Rockstar (and I do say the "ah" vowel brightly when I say this word- mom, you know what that means) has many many fine qualities that could stand up to Vault, if not surpass it.

Quality 1: MASS QUANTITIES OF ENERGY... here is where I shared the anecdote about my father-in-law and his first experience with Rockstar, during which he stayed up most of the night painting the foyer of his house.

Quality 2 : You can get DIET Rockstar.

Quality 3: It tastes like Smarties.

After my Rockstar lobbying (during which I became increasingly more self-conscious about my "accent") a conclusion was reached and Rockstar became the new kid on the Softshare block. I can't wait to see people bounce off the walls!!

3 comments:

cbrummer said...

Very funny!! and - you do not have an accent........

Megan Brummer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hawkeyeforlife said...

You are hilarious... I love this story... and miss my sister.