Monday, October 29, 2007

California Corn Maze

The first time I tasted corn in Santa Barbara I knew something was a little off. We were at the "Lemon Festival" with our neighbors and they bought corn on the cob from one of those vendor booths. There were all manner of spices and things to dress up your corn which should have been my first clue.... Apparantly the spices are there to cover up the fact that the corn (which is an unnaturally pale yellow) doesn't taste so much like corn... at least not to an IOWA girl!! I took one bite and exclaimed- "That doesn't even TASTE like corn!!". Most dissappointing, but not entirely surprising.

My next Santa Barbara corn encounter was something altogether different. My homegroup (group from church that meets once a week) decided to visit the corn maze and pumpkin patch tonight, since Wednesday is Halloween. Being from Iowa, I was a bit skeptical about a corn maze in the middle of Santa Barbara. But I was told it was actually quite difficult and fun, so we decided to give it a try. Even though it was dark out, I tried to take a couple of pictures, because I couldn't help but giggle at the palm trees in the background- not your average corn maze!!



The hay ride was pretty fun- although the hay bales were kind of hard (don't hay rack rides usually involve tons of fluffy hay that you can roll around in??) All in all it was a very fun night- mainly because I didn't actually have to EAT any of the corn!! (It's THAT bad!) Seriously, though, it was a really good time with some very fun new friends and the corn maze was actually VERY difficult.

2 comments:

emily said...

My first encounter in the south with a hay rack ride was last Christmas when we took a trailer filled with hay stacks and we went caroling around the neighborhood!!! welcome to the south right?!

cbrummer said...

Now honey - no need to be a Midwestern snob.....wait - is that an oxymoron?

Love you