Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Best Kept Secret

I am reminded on a fairly regular basis that people outside of Iowa frequently don't know much about it. Now, I can't get mad or upset about this because of course there are places in this country that I don't know much about. What is funny is how many comments I hear about Iowa or even the midwest in general from Californians especally. In Michigan, people had misconceptions, but in California it's like people think Iowa is on a different continent. I guess to them, it might as well be. What drives me bonkers is the superiority complex. I know everyone reading this is thinking- well, duh! It's CALIFORNIA. But that's what is so annoying!! Get over yourself California!! :)

So I thought I would start recording some of the funny and even the not-so-funny things people have said pertaining to Iowa and/or the midwest since I moved out here.

1. Pretty much any time farming or any other rural experience comes up people say "well, you're from Iowa" as if that makes me an authority on farming and rural life. OH! That's right! I forgot that being from Iowa means I must have grown up on a farm! In actuality, I've never milked a cow, I've never detassled corn, I can't even keep a house plant alive! City girl here!!

2. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE Iowa City. We were at the beach here in Santa Barbara one day and I chased down a couple who were wearing Hawkeye shirts just so we could chat about Iowa City. The friends we were with thought I was a LUNATIC but anyone from Iowa knows that the couple I chased down were MORE than excited to talk Iowa City with a fellow Hawkeye. My friend Marissa said "If I moved to a different state and I saw someone with a UCSB shirt on, I don't think I would go up and start talking to them." The more I think about that comment the more I realize that most people would think it was weird thing to do. The beauty is that anyone from Iowa City or anyone who calls themself a Hawkeye knows that it was the furthest thing from weird- it's like a family, and we LOVE a good reunion.

3. One of my favorite comments is from a co-worker- "I don't think I could live in Iowa because I wouldn't want to have to wear a cowboy hat all the time."

4. Another one from a co-worker was when someone was talking about Ohio and mentioned something about their trip being boring. A co-worker of mine commented "Yeah, but that's pretty much the midwest". Oh BROTHER.

5. Of course there are the requisit responses from people out here when you say you're from Iowa-
"Oh! Potatoes!".... nope, that's Idaho
"Oh- the Buckeyes"... nope that's Ohio
C'mon people. Iowa. The University of Iowa. Big 10? No? Wow.
My parents had me convinced when I was looking at colleges that a Big Ten school would carry some weight wherever I went- at least with name recognition- over a small private school in the midwest. And for the most part, that's been true- except in California.
6. Perhaps the funniest one was at a barbeque I went to this weekend. To protect the innocent I will leave names out of it:
Friend A: Do you want kids?
Me: Yeah I want kids.
Friend A: Are you trying?
Me: No, we're not trying.
Friend A: If you want kids, why aren't you trying?
Friend B: They want to wait until they can be closer to family.
Friend A: Where's family?
Me: Iowa
Friend A: Well what are you waiting for? Get yourselves back to polygamy town and start having babies!
Really? Polygamy town? Are you sure you aren't mixing Iowa up with another state that you consider inferior? Say, Utah? That was a first for me. And, incidentally I'd just like to point out that that comment came from a California NATIVE. It's stateism.
BUT I guess I have to consider myself a statist if I'm going to call these people out because really, Iowa is the best. And as my mom says-"That's just fine- they can go on thinking that because we don't need them. Iowa City is the best kept secret in the midwest." I agree mom!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

love the post. it's very interesting how ignorant people are about iowa. i've gotten a few comments here in CO as well. IC is a very well kept secret. =)

cbrummer said...

Hey - I just came back from MO for 3 days - and it is AMAZING how different a place can be even just 300 miles away. I STILL LOVE IOWA CITY! AND - I hope you guys make it back here soon!!!!!

Love you!